Table of Contents
Key Features of JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
The JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker stands out in the market due to its unique combination of features. Key attributes include:
- Waterproof and Durable Design: The JBL Clip 3 is noted for its waterproof capabilities, making it a suitable choice for outdoor adventures or use near water sources. This feature ensures longevity and resilience in various environments.
- Ultra-Portable with an Integrated Carabiner: A defining feature of the JBL Clip 3 is its ultra-portability, enhanced by a fully integrated and upgraded carabiner. This design allows the speaker to be easily attached to clothes, belt loops, or backpacks, making it an ideal companion for outdoor activities and travels.
- Powerful Sound in a Small Size: Despite its small stature, the JBL Clip 3 delivers surprisingly powerful and high-quality sound. This attribute makes it stand out as a portable speaker that does not compromise on audio performance.
- Long Battery Life: The speaker offers up to 10 hours of playtime, powered by a 1000mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery. This extended battery life is convenient for long outdoor activities or parties without the need for frequent recharging.
- Noise-Cancelling Speakerphone & Wireless Streaming: The JBL Clip 3 includes a noise-cancelling speakerphone feature, enhancing its functionality for calls. Additionally, it supports wireless streaming, providing ease of use and compatibility with various Bluetooth-enabled devices.
In summary, the JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker is a robust, feature-rich device that combines waterproof and durable construction, ultra-portability with an integrated carabiner, powerful sound quality, long battery life, and convenient features like a noise-cancelling speakerphone and wireless streaming. These attributes make it a versatile speaker suitable for a range of settings, from outdoor adventures to casual listening at home.
- Sound Quality: The JBL Clip 3 delivers decent sound quality for its size. It produces a clear and powerful sound, with improved audio performance compared to its predecessor, the Clip 2. The speaker is equipped with a passive radiator that enhances bass and creates a fuller sound. However, it may struggle with music that has a lot of elements playing simultaneously, and the bass is not as pronounced as in some larger JBL models. While it’s loud for its small size, it may not fill a large house with sound.
- Durability and Portability: This speaker is highly praised for its durable body and integrated carabiner, making it easy to attach to bags or hang from hooks. It’s ideal for outdoor activities, including hiking and kayaking, due to its compact and rugged design. The rubber backing adds extra protection against damage from impacts. Additionally, it’s waterproof (IPX7 certified), which means it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter deep and even floats on water, enhancing its suitability for outdoor use.
- Battery Life: The battery life of the JBL Clip 3 is notable, lasting around 8 hours 50 minutes at 70% volume and about 5 hours 20 minutes at maximum volume. This long battery life, along with its quick and easy Bluetooth pairing capability, makes it a convenient choice for extended use throughout the day.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: The speaker uses Bluetooth 4.0 technology, offering quick and easy pairing with devices. It automatically reconnects to previously paired devices when turned on, and no upgrades are necessary for excellent pairing. This feature, along with its call answering and voice assistant support, adds to its user-friendliness.
- Design and Weight: While the JBL Clip 3 is celebrated for its compact and portable design, it’s considered one of the heavier models in its category, weighing 7.8 ounces. This weight might be a consideration for those looking for ultra-lightweight speakers.
- Volume and Clarity: The speaker can produce a loud sound relative to its size, but the clarity is somewhat compromised at maximum volume, particularly with heavy-bass music. On the other hand, it performs well with soft instruments or vocals. It’s equipped with turbulence and echo-canceling features to improve sound clarity.
- Charging Time: The JBL Clip 3 requires up to three hours for a full recharge. While this might be a limitation for some users, it’s important to consider it in the context of its overall performance and battery life.
In summary, the JBL Clip 3 is a solid choice for those seeking a compact, durable, and waterproof Bluetooth speaker with good sound quality and battery life, suitable for outdoor activities and casual listening. However, it may not be the best option for those who prioritize extreme portability due to its weight and for users seeking powerful bass and high-volume clarity.
- Audio Performance: It delivers solid audio quality for its size and price, with a slightly more powerful 3.3W speaker compared to the 3W speaker in the Clip 2, resulting in more accurate, clearer, and crisper sound. Especially effective for mid-notes, it excels in playing acoustic music and podcasts.
- Durability and Portability: The device is durable, compact, and easily portable, fitting comfortably in the hand or in a bag. Its design includes a rubbery texture for easier grip.
- Waterproof: The speaker has an IPX7 water resistance rating, providing robust protection against water ingress, making it suitable for use in various outdoor conditions.
- Battery Life: It features a significantly upgraded battery life, with a 1,000 mAh lithium-ion battery providing 10 to 16 hours of music streaming, a considerable improvement over the Clip 2.
- Integrated Carabiner: The inclusion of an integrated carabiner enhances its utility, allowing users to securely clip the speaker onto a belt or other objects for convenient transportation.
- Size and Weight: The Clip 3 is larger and heavier than its predecessor, the Clip 2, which might be a drawback for those preferring a lighter device.
- Bass Performance: The speaker lacks robust bass, which might be noticeable in certain types of music.
- Bluetooth Version: It uses Bluetooth 4.1, which is a step down from the 4.2 version used in Clip 2, potentially affecting connectivity speed, range, and security, although it does not majorly impact overall performance.
- Charging Port: The speaker still uses a micro USB charging port, which might be seen as outdated compared to USB Type-C ports. However, this is mitigated by the inclusion of a micro USB cable for immediate charging.
- Streaming Codecs: It lacks high-quality streaming codecs, which might affect the audio quality for discerning listeners.
In summary, the JBL Clip 3 offers a balance of improved sound quality, battery life, and durability with a few drawbacks in terms of size, weight, and some technical aspects like Bluetooth version and charging port. It’s well-suited for users looking for a portable, waterproof speaker with good mid-range audio performance, especially for outdoor use or casual listening.
The JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker stands out in the market of ultra-portable speakers for its robust design and performance. This device offers a unique blend of features tailored for users who seek portability without compromising on sound quality and durability.
Design and Durability:
- The Clip 3 has a refreshed design compared to its predecessor, Clip 2. It features a newly designed carabiner that is integrated into the device, wrapping around it as a metal frame. This design not only makes the speaker more solid and durable but also adds to its aesthetic appeal. However, the non-replaceable carabiner might limit its usability in certain scenarios, like attaching to thicker objects.
- The speaker grille has been redesigned, curving to the edges and housing the music control buttons, which are conveniently placed and easy to use.
- The Clip 3 is equipped with a 3.3W speaker, slightly more powerful than the 3W speaker of the Clip 2. While this increment is marginal, it contributes to more accurate, clearer, and crisper sound. The speaker excels in producing mid-notes, making it ideal for listening to acoustic music and podcasts. However, some users may find it lacking in bass compared to larger speakers or other models in the same size range.
- It features a 1,000 mAh lithium-ion battery, offering between 10 to 16 hours of music streaming, a significant upgrade from the 5 to 8 hours provided by its predecessor. This extended battery life is commendable for a speaker of its size, although it lacks a battery level indicator.
Connectivity and Water Resistance:
- The Clip 3 supports Bluetooth 4.1, which is a step down from the Bluetooth 4.2 version in Clip 2, potentially affecting connection speed, range, and security. However, this does not significantly impact the overall performance of the speaker.
- It boasts an IPX7 water resistance rating, ensuring that it is completely waterproof and can even float on water, although it’s not designed to play music while floating. This feature makes it ideal for outdoor activities and water sports.
- The upgraded carabiner adds extra security to the device, and its silicone material enhances grip and durability.
- The speaker’s design ensures that it is protected against water splashes and accidental drops, thanks to the IPX7 rating.
- It is available in various colors, providing options to suit different personal preferences.
In summary, the JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker is a well-rounded ultra-portable speaker that excels in durability, sound quality, and battery life. Its design improvements, coupled with robust water resistance and extended battery life, make it an ideal choice for those seeking a compact, reliable speaker for on-the-go use. While it has some limitations in terms of bass output and connectivity features, its overall performance and utility in various scenarios, especially in outdoor and water-related activities, make it a strong contender in its category.
What is the battery life of the JBL Clip 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker?
The JBL Clip 3 offers a battery life of 10 to 16 hours, depending on the volume level.
Is the JBL Clip 3 waterproof?
Yes, the JBL Clip 3 has an IPX7 waterproof rating, meaning it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter deep for 30 minutes.
Can I pair the JBL Clip 3 with another Clip 3 for stereo sound?
No, the JBL Clip 3 does not support the JBL Connect+ feature and cannot be paired with another Clip 3 for stereo sound.
Does the JBL Clip 3 have a built-in microphone?
Yes, it has a built-in noise and echo-canceling microphone, allowing it to be used as a speakerphone for calls.
What are the key improvements of the JBL Clip 3 over its predecessor?
The JBL Clip 3 features a more durable design with an integrated carabiner, improved sound quality, extended battery life, and superior water resistance compared to its predecessor.